Puerto Rico’s combination of history, diverse culture, scenery, attractions, warm people and fascinating cities make this Caribbean gem a world-class destination.
- Puerto Rico is an archipelago in the Caribbean Sea consisting of the main island, four small islands and hundreds of cays and islets.
- It is the smallest island of the Greater Antilles in the Caribbean, located east of the Dominican Republic.
- The island territory is only 160 km long and 56 km wide (8.870 square kilometers).
- The island has almost 483 km of coastline and nearly 300 beaches.
- Puerto Rico an unincorporated territory of the United States. the official languages are Spanish and English. You may come across people who speak a mixture of both, or “Spanglish”, given the influence of the U.S. on the Island.
- Christopher Columbus arrived in Puerto Rico in 1493 during his second voyage to the New World. Initially, he christened the Island as San Juan Bautista (St. John the Baptist). The name was soon changed to Puerto Rico or “rich port,” when the Spaniards realized the impressive amount of gold found in its rivers. When the capital city was established, it took the name of San Juan.
- Puerto Rico’s vibrancy derives from more than 500 years of rich history and the subsequent blending of different cultures.
- The Island’s sounds range from traditional salsa to bomba y plena, a contagious dance inspired by Puerto Rico’s African roots.
- Puerto Rico is the birthplace of the Piña Colada.
- Puerto Rico is also home of El Yunque, the only rainforest in the U.S. Forest. It homes more than 240 types of trees, unique birds, native species and beautiful scenery. The forest spans 25 square kilometers of land that includes 25 waterfalls, several rivers and ancient petroglyphs of Taíno deities.
- In the mountains at the center of the Island is Toro Verde Nature Adventure Park – a modern marvel of adrenaline-pumping adventure known as “The Monster,” a 2,5 kilometer zip line that is one of the longest in the world.
For more information visit: www.discoverpuertorico.com